Waking up this morning I found my external rugged, firewire Lacie drive giving an error. It said: “The disk ” was not repairable by this computer. …” Did I panic? Of course not, I have Time Machine backing up my stuff! The problem: I had no room to restore it and it failed to restore on the external driving giving a weird ‘Error 0′. I bought a new external Western Digital 1TB drive, but how to restore from Time Machine on this new disk?
Well, it’s a simple trick really.
- Note the name you gave the failing disk and eject it.
- Plug in your new disk, format if needed, and give it the name of your old disk.
- In Finder, select the new drive and open Time Machine (should bein your dock, otherwise go to Applications.
- Once in Time Machine, just select what you want to restore, and restore it!
- After a while (which could be long), it should be there!
I had to restore my iTunes library!
BACKUP! MAKE BACKUPS! BUT! MAKE SURE YOU CAN RESTORE THEM! Test your Time Machine, or whatever solution you use, restoring old files from time to time.