Yesterday I gave Google’s Picasa again a try. Importing my iPhoto library I ran into the now infamous error message: “corrupted AlbumData.xml”. The Apple support website has some tips on how to fix this, but it’s too vague. Luckily there are smart people out there and I stumbled upon a good way in the Picasa help forums to debug your
AlbumData.xml using TextWrangler.
- Install TextWrangler if you haven’t already.
- Open your iPhoto Library using Finder: right-click (Ctrl-Click) and select ‘Show Package Contents’. Copy the
AlbumData.xmlfile to your desktop.
- Open the
AlbumData.xmlfrom on your Desktop using TextWrangler.
- From the Text-menu, choose ‘Zap Gremlins’.
- Deselect ‘Non-ASCII Characters’ and select ‘Replace with: •’.
- Wait for TextWrangler to finish the zapping! Can take a while.
- When done, search (Cmd-f) for occurrence of the • (Option-8)
- Open iPhoto and fix wherever you find a dot in the copy of
If you are lucky, you’ll find quickly the character that is bugging Picasa. I had only one of these Gremlins in the XML file.
So, I gave Picasa a try, but it failed importing captions of the pictures, only tags. I haven’t found a fix/workaround for that, so it’s a no-go for me still.
If you like to leave a comment, but don't like to use Disqus, please send an email instead. Comments by email might end up as a FAQ here under.